The Science of Reading Short Course is offered fully online through a learning management system. It is comprised of five self-paced modules that can be accessed individually and completed in approximately ten hours. Each module has clearly stated objectives, explicitly written background information, useful video demonstrations, numerous graphic illustrations, and a variety of downloadable resources and links. Based on adult learning theory, each module includes activities to reinforce concepts, intermittent feedback through the use of checks for understanding, and a final exit ticket to ensure concepts are mastered. The modules are based on more than forty years of research, including several foundational conceptual modules that explain how reading works:
- How Students Learn to Read: An Introduction to the Science of Reading
- What is Structured Literacy?
- Word Recognition: An encounter with phonics
- The Language Comprehension Domain
- The Reading Comprehension Domain